September 6, 2016
September 6, 2016
September 11 promises to be a good and busy Sunday for us as we welcome, worship, walk and witness. Here is what I mean:
- Welcome – Our Outreach and Membership Department will host a Membership Invitation Breakfast in the Family Room at 8:45. If you have been considering membership in LABC this is a good chance to get some of your questions about the meaning of this committment answered. Let me know if you would like to attend.
- Worship – In worship, our Retreat Choir will sing and I will preach from Numbers 13, the story of the Hebrew spies who were sent into the land of Canaan. Their report was that there were “giants in the land.” Together we will consider the contemporary “giants” that stand as obstacles between us and the future God has in store for us.
- Walk- Some of you will worship by representing us at the Oakland Pride parade, bearing witness to God’s love for all at this annual downtown event. Contact Chuck Johnston if you would like to join in.
- Witness – Following worship we Stand and Sing for Justice on Mandana Green. This bi-monthly public witness is our call for peace with justice in the city of Oakland. In particular, it is a demonstration of our support for the Ceasefire program that has been proven to save lives.
Prayers of the Congregation
- Jessie Guiton for Baby Valentina
- Thanksgiving with Jeanne Robinson on a strong recovery
- Joan Thatcher (health concerns)
- Sheryl Gattey (health concerns)
- Mary Karne for Maryla (recuperating from surgery)
- Gloria Meads as she begins another round of chemotherapy treatements
- Cecil White (health concerns)
- Ruben Artery for his father
- Thanksgiving with Amber and Aries Broadnax on the completion of their adoption of Aliyah
- Chris Schelin (health concerns)
- Sydney Webster for Gigi (health concerns)
- Zondra Martin for her family
- Ann Fields for her family
- Nedra Hathaway (health concerns)
- Barbara Bowman (health concerns)
- Ted and Doris Evans and family
- Warren and Camille Parker and family
- Monica Eppinger for the Cooksey family
- All who struggle with addiction
- The people of the United States on the fifteenth anniversary of the 9-11-2001 attacks
Join me tonight at the Cathedral of Christ the Light (Grand and Harrison) Event Center for an Interfaith Service of Prayer for Peace. The program begins at 5:45 but there will be prayers, presentations and processions up until 8:15.
Flick Flack meets Friday evening at 7:00 at the home of Jerry and Charlene Wolf
Please make plans to participate in as many of our all church Long Range Planning conversations as you can. They will be held after worship, lunch included, on September 18, October 16 and November 13. Every voice is needed as we discern together the future God has for us.
There are few seats left at the LABC table at the OCO Dinner on Sunday evening. Let me know if you would like to represent us.
P.S. Good News! Kay Baxter will be joining our staff on September 19 as our Church Business Manager. Mary Alice will be honored in our worship on September 18 for her 23 years of service and will begin retirement on October 1.
P.S.S. Tyrone worked all day on Labor Day attending to the cleaning of all the carpets in the Sanctuary building. The best way to thank him is to reduce spills and leaks by using lids on cups and other beverage holders and to carry garbage out in the receptacles.