October 8, 2018
October 8, 2018
October 9, 2018
A busy week and a full weekend await followed by the funeral for Ann Fields next Monday, October 15th at 11:00.
Both Soup and Study and Wednesday Morning Bible Study will be be learning from “Crazy Christians: A Call To Follow Jesus” by Michael B. Curry, Presiding Bishop of the Episcopalian Church.
The Evergreen Baptist Association Annual Meeting at Grace Baptist Church in San Jose begins Friday at noon and continues through worship on Sunday morning. Our handbell ensemble will be playing as part of the Friday evening program and on Saturday evening Whitley J. and Rachael S. will be reporting on their pilgrimage this summer to Minidoka.
On Sunday my sermon will be “Report From the Capitol: A Reflection on a visit to Washington D. C..” My text will be Mark 12: 13-17. My intended theme is, “Some serious discernment is required as we decide what it is that we will “render to Caesar” and what it is we will “render to God.”
On Sunday afternoon at 3:00 the First Baptist Church of Berkeley will hold an ordination service for Paul Schneider at Shell Ridge Community Church in Walnut Creek.
Prayers for all who will be traversing the freeways of the Bay Area to be a part of these worthy occasions.
Prayers of the Congregation
- The United States in the aftermath of the Kavanaugh confirmation
- Helen Harrison for Jennifer, Xander and Kenan
- Emma Gordon for Nicole, David and Wes
- Kay Baxter for Jamie
- All who are traveling
- The Meads family for Matthew, Ecatarina, Adele, John, Scott and Arielle
- Sandra Dunn (health)
- The homeless of Oakland
- The family of Ann Fields as they mourn
- The family of David Holly (died on Sept. 25th) as they mourn
- Leslyn Henry for her sister Adrienne
- All who are recovering from earthquake, fire and flood.
- The global servants of American Baptist International Ministries (Supported, in part, by our participation in the World Mission Offering)
- Irene Jennings (hospice care)
- Stan Fong as he mourns Chester, his beloved cat
- All the animals and humans that were remembered and blessed at our Blessing of the Animals
- Brian Byamukama and the people of Uganda
- Thanksgiving with Tyrone that his mother-in-law is gaining strength
- Barry Breaux (recuperating from eye surgery)
A note from Pastor Liliana of Grace Baptist Church – Hello friends, I’m writing to ask you to be aware that parking on October 12 when we start the Annual Meeting of our Evergreen Association will be across from our church building on 10th Street. This parking lot belongs to San Jose State University and costs $4 per car. If you can tell those who are coming to the event to be prepared with cash for that, we’ll be very thankful! Blessings, Liliana
An Invitation – OCO, one of our main voices in the community, is hosting a fund-raising breakfast from 8:00-9:00 on Thursday, November 15th. I would love to fill a couple of tables. Please let me know ASAP if you would like to attend.