October 18, 2016
October 18, 2016
As I write it is a sunny Monday after a rainy weekend. We give thanks for the rain even as we give thanks for your participation in worship and conversation despite the rain.
I ended my sermon on George Leile and Onesimus (from Paul’s letter to Philemon) with the proclamation that each of us, like these brave witnesses, have, a name, a story, a ministry and a high calling.
We lift up this theme again this Sunday as we will lift up the story of Ann and Adoniram Judson who sailed as Christian missionaries representing the Congregational Church, from Boston in February of 1812, arriving in Calcutta in June of 1812. In Calcutta, having engaged in serious study of the biblical practice of baptism while on their voyage, they were baptized as Baptists in September of 1812 before sailing to Burma in 1813. It was in Burma that they made their mark on history.
As we consider their witness I will ask us to consider the ways in which the phrase “Bless God and take courage.” a verse from the book of Acts that Adoniram often quoted, shaped their faith and shapes our faith.
Prayers of the Congregation
- Thanksgiving with Chris and Kelly Schelin on the birth of Isaac (October 16)
- Thanksgiving with Jesse Guiton that great-niece Valentina now weighs over five pounds
- Thanksgiving with Gloria and Phil that granddaughter Airelle is thriving. Also prayers for Tammy (job search) and Derrick (grieving)
- Thanksgiving with Jennifer and Chad Pancoe-Gurney on their first wedding anniversary
- Nedra Hathaway (hospice care) and family
- Sheila Sims for her mom, Helen (recuperating from a broken arm)
- Katrina Lau (recuperating from surgery)
- Sydney for Gigi (health concerns)
- Pam Claassen for her dear friend Susan (health concerns)
- Jewelle Taylor Gibbs (health concerns)
- Mary Karne for Maryla (recuperating from surgery)
- Edie Parrott as she mourns the death of her sister-in-law
- Kay Baxter for Tess, Jamie, Stacey and herself
- Joan Thatcher (vision concerns)
- Cecil White (health concerns)
- Larry Sims for his family
- Geoffrey Pete for his family
- Karen Okusu
- The Evans family
- Barbara Bowman (health concerns)
- The Wilkinson family for Gloria Joseph (health concerns)
- Margaret Oladoja and family
- Ginny Axtell
- The Presbyterian family on the death of Ben Weir, a former Moderator of the Presbyterian Church (USA), a former hostage in Lebanon, and a longtime advocate for interfaith dialogue
- Thanksgiving for the witness of David Holly
- Thanksgiving for the leadership of Amy Fitzgerald, Director of Oakland Community Organizations as she leaves that post
- Thanksgiving that Luke Joachim was with us in worship
The Prayer for Peace from the American Baptist Home Mission Societies today is a prayer for wisdom – “the insight necessary to consider candidates’ rhetoric and positions and make sense of comparing them.”
Our Hunger Task Force meets this Sunday at 12:30 to plan for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Please join in and help make a difference in the lives of many.
Dr. Nancy Hall of ABSW will be with us in worship and at the Forum this Sunday to help us sing and celebrate the hymns of Rod Romney, LABC Pastor 1963-80.
Saturday, October 22, 11;00 a.m., Panel Discussion – “Liberation theology – The Black Panther Party & The Church,” Oakland Museum of California