May 2, 2012
May 2, 2012
Continued Eastertide greetings!
As we enter into May, we are already faced with struggles for peace and justice – both in downtown Oakland and in the homes of many threatened with foreclosure. Join me in offering prayers for police and protesters alike – prayers for mercy, prayers for peace, prayers for justice.
On Sunday we will look at John 15:1-8. In this passage, Jesus describes himself as the true vine and those who abide in him as branches who bear much fruit. We will explore together the spiritual practice of worship and consider what it means to abide in the true vine.
Prayers of the Congregation
- Bette Pancoe – at Summit Hospital
- Bev Cooper – recovering from a fall
- Mary Karne – recovering from surgery
- Reid Albano – a friend of Donnie Johnson’s who was injured in Afghanistan
- Bev and Jim Jeffrey as they travel
- Maxine O’Guinn for Horace and Beatrice Lee
- Teresako Harris for her Aunt Elaine
- Paul and Johanna Wilkinson for Evan’s upcoming surgery (in July)
- Gloria and Phil Meads for Joy and Jon, and Max Powers
- George Harper for his friend George who is battling leukemia