May 16, 2009
May 16, 2017
The hope for our worship this Sunday is that we will meaningfully weave together a shared worship service with the San Francisco Kachin Baptist Church in celebration of Asian American/Pacific Islander Heritage Sunday and a recognition that recovery programs are both a community necessity and a theological mandate. Angela Texeria, Director of City Team Ministries in Oakland, will bring greetings and both Pastor Naw San KD and I will deliver short sermons on the need for recovery programs. The choirs of both congregations will sing. There will be a “Stand and Sing for Justice” following worship.
Some News and Updates
Congratulations to Reverend Paul Keener on being named the Oakland Athletic League’s Softball Coach of the Year for his work with the Skyline High School Lady Titans.
Congratulations to William Matthews, son of Carolyn Matthews on being named Teacher of the Year at Castlemont High School. William is one of the teachers supported by Our Teacher Match program.
Congratulations to longtime friend of Lakeshore, The Reverend Katie Choy-Wong, on being named the 2017 ABSW Alumna of the Year.
District Two Oakland City Councilmember Abel Guillen and the Grand Lake Neighborhood Association will host a Town Hall Meeting with Police Chief Kirkpatrick and Public Safety Director Johnson in the Sanctuary this Wednesday evening at 7:00.
Dean LeAnn Flesher will moderate the 2017 Drexler Lecture, a panel discussion “From Black Power To Black Lives Matter: The Role of the Church” at ABSW this Thursday evening at 7:30
The funeral service for John Giles’ brother, Wayne Acero Giles, will be Monday, May 22, at noon at Quimet Brothers Funeral Chapel, 4125 Clayton Rd. in Concord. There will be a visitation and viewing from 10-12.
Prayers of the Congregation
- John and Jo Giles as the mourn the death of John’s brother, Wayne
- All who come to the church for assistance
- All who are affected by stress
- Jeanette Paige as she cares for her father
- Carol Norris as she cares for her brother
- The leaders of our nation, state and city
- All who are planning for the summer ministries of LABC
- Paul Keener as he preaches at FBC Alameda
- Thanksgiving for the ministry of the American Baptist Seminary of the West
- Thanksgiving for the ministry of the Oakland Community Organizations
- Thanksgiving for the ministry to the Alliance of Baptists and its member congregations
- Thanksgiving for the ministry of LABC members who serve as chaplains
- Mary Karne for her family
- Ann Fields for her family
- Kay Baxter for her family
- Rae Rita Thompson for her family
- Anthony Marshall (Kaiser Post-Acute Care Center, San Leandro)