Let Goodness and Mercy Catch Us
August 24, 2023
“Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life…” (Psalm 23:6a)
Changes. Life is filled with changes. Some are welcome, some not so much, and most are simply the result of the passing of time. This is the time when many of those who we had the privilege and opportunity to watch grow up, move on to kindergarten, first grade, middle school, junior high, high school, and college. Although each of these come with its own emotional angst, the moving on to college can be exceptionally so – especially when it means a change in the household. And for those who are moving away from home, this brings its own opportunities and challenges.
This is a good time to remember one of the lessons from Vacation Bible Camp. During the week, the children and all those attending are encouraged to acknowledge a “God sighting,” a place where we see God at work. Some of the sightings from this year included: friends, family, heavens, cloud, VBS projects, praying in mind, just to name a few. As we settle in to this new aspect of life, perhaps we might allow goodness and mercy to catch up with us so that we remember to take time and appreciate the places where God is at work in our day.
Blessings of the day to each of us,
Reminder: We are bringing together the handbell ensemble. Thursday, September 7, at 6:00 pm, I will meet with anyone who has questions and would like to take a look at what is involved in ringing. Then on September 14, at 6:00 pm we will hold our first rehearsal. [FYI: The choir, The Voices of Lakeshore will also begin rehearsing on September 14 at 700 pm]
In preparation for ringing (the source is Anonymous):
Suggestions for Ensemble Bell Ringing
- Everyone should ring the same piece.
- The right note at the wrong time is the wrong note.
- The wrong note at the right time is still a wrong note.
- A wrong note rung timidly is still a wrong note.
- A wrong note rung with authority is an interpretation.
- If everyone gets lost except you, follow those who get lost.
- If you are completely lost, stop everyone and start an argument about repeat marks.
- If a passage is difficult, slow it down. If it is easy, speed it up. Everything will work itself out in the end.
- Markings for tempo, dynamics, and holds should be ignored. They are there only to embellish the score.
- When everyone else has finished ringing, you should not ring any notes you may have left.
- Following the director is always an option.
Saturday, August 26 (ZOOM)
9:00 AM – LABC Reads (ZOO, James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge)
10:00 AM – Time for Prayer
Sunday, August 27
10:00 AM – Worship (In person, ZOOM, livestream)
11:45 AM – Adult Bible Study (In person, ZOOM)
Tuesday, August 29
6:00 PM – Bible Study (ZOOM)
Wednesday, August 30
10:30 AM – Prayer and Bible Study (ZOOM)
Lakeshore ZOOM Information
Dial-in: 1 669 900 9128
Meeting ID: 859 909 5914
One tap mobile: +16699009128