Happy first Saturday of Autumn!
Here are Moderator Marie Johnson’s notes from the Tuesday, September 19, Church Council meeting. They stand as a reminder of the important work we are doing as we head into tomorrow and Homecoming Sunday. We hope you will plan on staying for the after worship picnic on the lawn.
1. We have a new information screen in the Narthex. Thank you to Jerry Wolf for his work on this. It will scroll through news, events, etc… in about fifteen minute cycles. We hope to gradually continue adding electronic screens…perhaps in front of the church and perhaps in the Sanctuary.
2. 11/4/23 LABC will host Evergreen affiliated churches in Northern Ca – mark your calendar.
3. Fall Congregational meetings:
– October 1: primarily discussion of where folks are in deciding about signing onto the Apartheid Free pledge especially including concerns
– November 19: vote on 2024 nominations and budgets, possible vote on whether or not to sign onto the Apartheid Free pledge.
4. Handbell choir is resuming on Thursday nights. Thursday’s night Bible study will end.
5. Fall events coming: Harvest Festival, Hanging of the Greens, Leadership Breakfast for new and continuing department members – see events for dates (Education department)
6. Pastor Carolyn and Department of Education are working on guidelines for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion committee.
7. Vice Moderator Buffin indicated there is a new COVID vaccine available now.
8. Voted to welcome new members: Harold Davis, Michael Hammer. Last month voted to welcome Doug and Mikki Holmes as new members.
9. Department report Highlights: there is a lot going on.
– new visitor, prayer and get involved cards coming soon (Outreach and Membership)
– Faith In Action East Bay is adding public safety to its agenda. Kristen Wilson is LABC’s representative. (Social Concerns)
– 12 folks representing LABC participated in Oakland’s Pride
– There was a church clean up day September 16 (Stewardship)
– Coffee Hour October 8 to celebrate LatinX Heritage month (Hospitality and Events, and Jesse Lucas)
– looking for volunteers to visit our home bound members and friends. If you can help contact Paige Bence. (Worship and Congregational Care)
10. October 29: celebration of Pastor Jim’s 40th ordination anniversary. (Spearheaded by Pastoral Relations Committee)
This Morning on LABC Zoom – Pastor Carolyn leads A Time For Prayer at 10:00