June 12, 2012
June 12, 2012
Some weeks midweek comes earlier in the week than others – I hope your week thus far is going well!
This Sunday The Reverend Wally Bryen will be our guest preacher. It’s not often that a member of Lakeshore goes off to seminary, becomes an effective pastor, and we still get to hear him preach on occasion! I look forward to hearing a message from Wally on Sunday!
The Scripture for Sunday comes from Philippians 1:21-27. In this passage, Paul proclaims that “to live is Christ and to die is gain.” He then exhorts his readers to “live in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ.” These are challenging words that need unpacking. What does it mean to live in a manner worth of the gospel of Christ? How might living with this question continue to develop our understanding of ourselves as spiritual beings? Love the questions, and live into the answers!
Prayers of the Congregation
- Bette Pancoe – in Summit Hospital
- Esther Hargis recovering from surgery
- George White as he prepares for surgery on Friday
- All who are looking for work
- All who are looking for housing
- All who are grieving
- Grand Lake Gardens
- Theresako Harris for her Aunt Elaine
- Joan Patten for her cousin
- Toni Daniels-Bradley for herself, Ken, Jullien and Pamela
- Phil and Gloria Meads for Martha Ettinger, Beth and Jon
- Johanna Wilkinson for safety for her family, friends and LABC family
- Mary Karne – thanksgiving for healing, the prayers of LABC and her new great-granddaughter
- Kay Baxter – thanksgiving for a wonderful trip and prayers for Jaime and Stacey
- Celebration with Aaron and Teresa Hopkins on their wedding!
- June 14 Action – Please come out and support the vision and plan of Lakeshore’s Local Organizing Committee to decrease the achievement gap and improve the graduation rate for students of color at Oakland Technical High School through a unique partnership with Holy Names University. The Action will take place at 6 p.m. in the Family Room.
- A memorial service for Susan Joachim will be held on Saturday, June 16, at 2 p.m. If you would like to help with the reception, light refreshments (finger foods, fruit, cookies, etc.) would be appreciated. Contact Paige Bence for more details.