January 24, 2012
January 24, 2012
Greetings to All,
The title of my sermon this Sunday, as it often is on the day of the Annual Meeting of our congregation, is “The State of the Church.” My text is Galatians 6:2, “Bear one another’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.” My main point will be that in a congregation like ours, which pays so much attention to the needs of the community and the world, we need to also pay significant attention to supporting and encouraging each other, to bearing one another’s burdens.
At the Annual Meeting we will vote on the final version of the 2012 Budget, recieve the 2012 Annual Report, and spend a little time talking about my coming sabbatical (Mid-April through Mid-July of this year).
On Tuesday night, January 31 (Soup and Study) and Wednesday morning, February 1(Prayer and Bible Study) we will begin a 10 part study “The Bible and Handel’s Messiah.” Each week we will listen to a portion of the Messiah and study the biblical texts Handel used in composing his music. This study will continue into the week before Easter. I certainly hope you will think about attending this study.
African American History Month will soon begin. Our theme this year is “Seeing Each Other Through God’s Eyes.” Our guest preachers will be our own Carolyn Matthews on February 5 and Paul Martin, President of ABSW on February 19. The Soul Food Dinner will follow worship on February 26.
Prayers for each of you,
Prayers of the Congregation
- Sandra Dunn as she recuperates from surgery
- Annelle Clute as she recuperates from surgery
- Ruth Smith, it is hoped she will be home from Summit Hospital today
- Marc and Helen Harrison for Marc’s dad
- Cathy Leaks for her dad
- Shirley Jones as she continues to gain strength at Summit SNF
- Jim Jeffrey for safe travels and for his health
- Phil and Gloria Meads for Joy and John
- Joan Patten for her son and for his dog
- Brandon Sturdivant and family, awaiting the birth of their second child
- The peace of our city
- All who are traveling
- Victims of the tornado in Alabama
- Al Johnson and Roy Browner
- Ann Fields for her family
- Zondra Martin for her family
- Ted and Doris Evans for Jenny and Charlotte
- The people of Nigeria
- The people of Myanmar (Burma)
This link will take you to some pictures from Sunday, January 15 and the service we shared with the San Francisco Kachin Baptist Church