August 28, 2012
August 28, 2012
Greetings to all as August comes to an end,
As we gather in worship, and at the Table of Communion, on Labor Day Sunday we will read from one of the most frequently ignored, and least frequently preached from, books of the Bible, the Song of Solomon.
The Song of Solomon, known also as the Song of Songs, receives little public attention because its themes can be difficult to talk about in polite company. The verses of the Song are poems of love and longing. In the text both the male and female voices speak passionately and evocatively of their feelings and their fantasies. They are honest about what they feel within and what they long for without.
The lectionary readings this week pair this poetry of passionate inner feeling with the words of Jesus from Mark 7: 14-15 – “Listen to me , all of you, and understand, there is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but the the things that come out are what defile.” Both the Song and Solomon and the Gospel of Mark proclaim that that which is within us has gravity and significance. Hence, my sermon will simply be titled “Within.”
Prayers of the Congregation
- Steve Reimer for his son Greg who was injured in Costa Rica and is hospitalized there
- Bette Pancoe
- Katrina Lau – surgery on August 30
- All our shut ins
- Ted and Doris Evans for their family
- Ann Fields for her family
- George and Sylvia Lee for Smith Jang (Sylvia’ brother) who is ill. Also prayers of Thanksgiving with their son Victor on the completion of his Ph.D. in Computer Science.
- Elizabeth Osajindu for her family
- Jeanne Robinson
- Toni Bradley (Gordon) for her family
- Ratna Sing for her health
- Mary Karne for Ceinwyn (granddaughter) and Millie, Sharon, Jim (cousins)
- Joan Patten for Paula
- Dave Gattey for Cheryl
- All out students, teachers and school employees and their families
- All who are mourning
- All who are traveling
- All who will contend with Hurricane Isaac this week
- The people of Syria
- Al Johnson and Roy Browner
- Lloyd Scott
- Dwight Dickerson for his family
- Thanksgiving for the life of Neil Armstrong
- My sister Beth following surgery
- The Harvey family
Homecoming Sunday is September 9. A potluck will follow worship. Please make plans to participate in this happy event.
The Memorial Service for Arnold Anderson will be held at 2:00 on Saturday, September 29, in the Sanctuary.