August 2, 2011
August 2, 2011
As I write it is just past noon on Tuesday. Karen and I flew back from Portland this morning after a very pleasant four days in the Rose City and its environs. It is an interesting occurrence to wake in one city and then spend the majority of your day working in another. Humans tend to become attached to places very quickly. We form relationships with them and then are forced to move on. This regular forming and sundering of relationships with places is part of the cadence of life and mystery of faith. Places matter to us. Yet, we are ultimately a pilgrim people. In the words of the writer of Hebrews “here we have no lasting city.”
The second verse of the hymn “Lead On, O Cloud of Presence” speaks to a people who are frequently on the move. “Lead on, O fiery pillar, we follow yet with fears, but we shall come rejoicing, though joy be born of tears. We are not lost, though wandering, for by your light we come, and we are still God’s people. The journey is our home.
Many thanks to Karen Okusu, Pastor Tanner and their superb team of leaders for making Pandamania, our Vacation Bible School such a wonderful, meaningful, happy, event. The phrase “God is wild about you” came alive in ways both helpful and previously unimaginable.
I urge you to be in worship this Sunday. It is a Communion Sunday and Stan Fong will interpret the four Scripture readings of the day through the music of the organ. The Sermon time is this titled “A Sermon in a Different Voice.”
Prayers of the Congregation
- Cecil White and Ruben Artery on the death of their friend Alan Beim
- Idella Berry (Excel Care Center)
- Sandra Dunn
- Bette Pancoe (Summit Hospital)
- Edna Dorenzo
- Gloria Meads for Myrna, Alonzo, the family of Dalyn Wells and Ruth
- Warren Parker for Camille
- Ann Fields for family and finances
- Maxine O’Guinn for Joyce, Carol Travis and family, Liz and Tom. Thanksgiving as she and Thomas prepare to celebrate their 54th wedding anniversary on August 12.
- Ehime in need of a drivers license
- Virginia Cheatham (Recuperating from surgery at Medical Hill Rehabilitation Center)
- Kay Baxter and family
- Carol and Steve Leichter
- The United States in the aftermath of the debt ceiling settlement
- Margaret Alexander and family
Thank you to David Bushrod for leading the Pre-Worship Prayer Ministry. David will be in the Sanctuary at 9:40 to pray with those who desire it.
Happy Birthday Pastor Allison (Today)!