April 24, 2018
April 24, 2018
Last Sunday after church, a member of the congregation gave me a copy of the book About Grief: Insights, Setbacks, Grace Notes, Taboos by Ron Marasco and Brian Shuff. She had found it at a recycling store, found it helpful and thought I might as well. Near the beginning of Chapter One are these words. “Grief is weight. The word itself comes from the Middle English gref, which meant ‘heavy.’ The most common adjective people use in speaking of grief is ‘unbearable.’ Grief is something you ‘bear,’ a heaviness you learn to carry.”
For all us who carry loss, disappointment and grief, I believe that these are words worth heeding.
Prayers of the Congregation
- Jesse Lucas (Surgery on May 7)
- Dave Gattey (Piedmont Gardens SNF)
- Alice Edmondson (San Leandro Hospital)
- Sandra Dunn (health)
- Mary Karne for Maryla and Mark
- Bruce Quan (health)
- Alice Singh (health)
- Marian Ott (health)
- George Lee (health)
- Barry Breaux
- Carol Lee for Henry (The Grove, Piedmont Gardens)
- Carol Travis for her brother
- Kay Baxter for Jamie and Stacey
- David Rovanpera (health)
- Tuck Chin (health)
- The Kachin people of Burma
- The people of Nicaragua
- Thanksgiving with Larry and Dennis on Dennis’ new job
- Alice Lindstrom Davis for Marcus and Brittani
- Thanksgiving with Tyrone that baby Miracle is now home
- Alice Butler for her nephew Raul
- Our nation as it mourns the death of Barbara Bush
- Thanksgiving with Leilah, Katrina and Marleigh and their families on their baptism
- Margaret Oladoja
- The grieving of Nashville
- The grieving of Toronto
- Thanksgiving with the Schelin family of Chris’ successful defense of his doctoral dissertation
This coming Sunday, a fifth Sunday, is a “Kid-Friendly” worship service. We will celebrate songs and stories honoring their power to shape and strengthen us.
Douglas Avilesbernal, our new Evergreen Baptist Association Executive Minister, will be with us in worship on Sunday.
I look forward to our Pastor-People Town Hall meeting following worship. Thanks to the Personnel Committee for thinking of a creative way to engage in the important work of review.
A great way to spend a Sunday afternoon (3:00) – “Strength From the Roots” concert, including many LABC participants, Taylor United Methodist Church, 11th and Adeline, West Oakland
Congratulations to Geoffrey Pete on his recognition by the Oakland City Council for his many contributions to the well being of our city.